Thomas Wombwell was the vicar of Wath upon Dearne from 1652 to 1662, and founder of our school.
In 1660 he founded the first in Wath, paid for by his own money; he later received a gift for the school from Thomas Sawdrie. The original school was situated on the site of the Cemetery at Newhill and served both Wath and Swinton until 1855 when the National School (Wath C of E school) was built.
Until 1660 there was no educational influence near Wath upon Dearne with the exception of some boys educated by the Vicar himself, outside of the Monasteries.
In 1885 the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church Oxford gave part of the land on which the school stands. The Vicar, Church wardens and five communicant members of the church became the Foundation Trustee's. The land was on the former site of the Wath Tithe Barn. A school house was built and the children from the old school were relocated into the present school building.
Today, our school is a growing community of learners from Foundation Stage 1 to Year 6. The school is organised with all the Foundation classrooms in one area of school, after this are the infant classrooms and finally there are the junior learning spaces which were only built three years ago. As a school, the Christian values of love, hope, peace and joy underpin everything we do. The development of the curriculum is based on research into current best practice and innovation. We want to give the children high quality learning skills, the knowledge of how they learn and the aspiration that they can continue to ‘Aim higher and shine brighter’ in the future.